Disclaimer: I received a free entry to the Run Laughlin Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
I remember the first time I went to Bullhead City, Arizona. The night started in the New Hampshire airport, my mom and grandmother telling my brother and I we were going somewhere, but not telling us where. We landed in Detroit and headed to our gate for Las Vegas. 2nd grade me screamed “BUT THAT’S WHERE OLD PEOPLE GO” for like, 2 hours. Little did I know we were headed to Arizona, where my aunt and uncle lived, and where my best friend had moved to months before. It was amazing. Across the river, in Nevada, was a little, “mini Las Vegas” called Laughlin. I loved the lights and I definitely loved the buffet at Harrah’s.
I went to Bullhead City, Arizona and Laughlin, Nevada twice growing up, the last time being when I was 13. I loved it there – I loved the heat (but it’s a dry heat), the red clay, the desert that stretched out for miles, and nearby Las Vegas. I seriously considered going to college out there (but the threat of snakes deterred me, seriously).
A couple years back, I saw an advertisement on twitter for the Run Laughlin 13.1 race. It started in Laughlin, ran through two states (Nevada and Arizona) and two time zones. And it was scheduled for the weekend before my birthday. I was in grad school so it wasn’t the year, but I knew I would be there some day.
Some day is December 2, 2017. I’m finally going back to Laughlin for the Run Laughlin Half Marathon! I’m excited that Bib Rave is sending me to experience the beauty that is this race.
Some awesome things about this race:
- As this is a relatively new race, it is rather small in participant size. This can be a curse for some, but I appreciate a less-crowded course
- They added a 10K this year – so there is a 13.1, 10K, and 5K
- The half marathon course is a net downhill. There are two significant climbs on the course, with rewarding downhills.
- You run in two states and TWO TIME ZONES. YASSS. #bucketlist
- The race will end along “Casino Row” with free beer (and for me, blackjack)
- You can get hotel rooms in Laughlin less than $40 a night.
This race will fall at the peak of my training for the 2018 Goofy Challenge and I’m dreaming of an amazing run. Will you join me in Laughlin? Save 20% off entry with the code BibRave20.
Have you ever ran a destination race? Disney 2017 didn’t work out so well for me…let’s hope this one is better?